In response to the Omnivore’s Hundred List, I decided to do an offal/strange foods list. Many things on here are offal, but to bring it up to 50 I just added a bunch of strange-to-most-people foods. Most of it I don’t find all that odd, but different strokes for different folks.
Do what was done for the Omnivore’s Hundred List:
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here linking to your results.
- Sea cucumber
- Pig spleen
- Pig liver
- Chicken hearts
- Fish eye
- Duck tongue
- Duck/chicken feet
- Black pudding/boudin noir/soon dae
- Frog legs
- Pigs feet (not pied au cochon in the sense of some tidy slice because that is cheating, but a foot where you can tell what it is)
- Pig intestines/chitterlings
- Deer antlers
- Rocky mountain oysters
- Shrimp heads
- Beef tendon (chunks, not incidental)
- Crab roe
- Stinky tofu
- Hundred year old egg
- The just killed octopus that still has its suckers going
- Eel (even outside of sushi there are people who find this strange)
- Frog ovary soup
- Rooster comb
- Chicken/duck head
- Beating snake heart
- Sea urchin
- Marrow bones
- Cow udder
- Civet dropping coffee
- Lamb or cow eye
- Soft shell crab (another one a lot of people seem to have a problem with)
- Beef tongue
Bonus round: Add an extra ten points for any animal’s anus.
I fail pretty miserably with 54%, and I made this test.